Mold is produced by tiny cells called spores which are airborne, similar to seeds searching for a new colony for acceptance. Molds are fungi that can be located indoors as well as outdoors. The main exposure comes from breathing the spores, but you can also become ill by exposure through skin contact or by swallowing the spores. You will observe a musky smell and visually see signs of the black mold exposure. You may also have some physical symptoms of mold exposure. Here are some of those indications.
Sign 1: You Smell the Mold
If you smell a musky odor, it could be black mold creeping around one of the home's surfaces. Mold can survive in poorly ventilated or damp areas. Approximately 50% of the buildings located in the United States have some form of mold growth. You may notice the smell more when the HVAC unit is in operation as it pushes the spores throughout your home.
Sign 2: You Can See the Mold
Mold can have different appearances depending on what type of mold growth it is, including where it is located. If you have leaking pipes or a leaky roof, you could notice what appears to be a discolored or water stained wall, ceiling, or floor in your home. You will also notice a dark greenish/black or gray discoloration on the infected area.
You might also observe bubbling, cracking, or peeling of the wallpaper or paint in areas which are infected with mold. It is essential to check the surfaces around your home, especially if you notice the wall is bowing.
Sign 3: Physical Warning Signs of Black Mold
Elderly people, children, and infants might display symptoms quickly. Mold can also affect those with a weakened immune system such as organ transplant recipients, people with HIV, or chemotherapy patients. The main issues from mold can be displayed by aches and pains, allergic reactions or symptoms of irritation, as well as infections. You may also display some of the following issues:
- Chronic Sickness
- Sensitivity to Light
- Difficulty Breathing
- Digestive Distress
- Unexplained Illness
The symptoms of black mold can be confused because of the symptoms of other diseases including Fibromyalgia, Celiac Disease, Lyme Disease Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and several others. Currently, no government regulations or EPA standards are available for mold spore levels in commercial or residential areas.
You can detect most molds because you can see them or smell them, but you might also have physical clues to indicate you are suffering from black mold exposure. The first steps are finding the food source that is feeding the mold and destroy it. It might be time to contact a team of water damage specialists to remove the deadly spores immediately.